Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The First Rocket Outta Here

I planned my life around space colonization. I assumed that by the time I was an adult we’d have already invented faster than light travel, sent some drones to examine suitable worlds, and established bases. I wanted to be on that first ship. Nevermind that the first wave of colonists always get terrible diseases and die. Nevermind that it’s a one-way trip. I wanted to live and be buried under a strange new sky.


So I prepared.I knew that I wouldn’t get on board for my technical skills, but surely they’d need someone to keep a record? At the very least they’d need me to make recruitment pamphlets. Come to Beautiful Gliese 581!  Tidally Locked so it’s Always Sunny!


I exercised regularly so I’d be in good health for the journey. I ate plenty of calcium to counteract the loss of bone density in space. Whenever my doctor gave me medicine I grilled her about how long I need to take it--I don’t want to rely on supply shuttles from earth to bring me my medicine.


Everyone told me I was crazy. Well, mostly they just rolled their eyes and let me come to my own conclusions, but now I’ll prove them all wrong. *cue maniacal laugh*




THERE WILL BE A PERMANENT HUMAN SETTLEMENT ON MARS IN 2023!!! I don’t approve of all-caps or multiple exclamation marks but this is a special exception because SPACE.


A foundation called Mars One released their list of qualifications. I always imagined that such a list would include: jet pilot experience, the ability to garden in zero gravity, shuttle repair skills-all skills I lack.  Luckily for me, they just want smart people willing to spend the rest of their lives in space.




I can do that. I’d live the rest of my life on Mars harvesting space beans by day, writing science fiction by night. Editors would actually buy my books because hey, they’re written by a woman on frickin’ Mars.


It’s the perfect scenario. I’ve prepared for this my whole life. I even took care to inform my husband of my intentions before we married. Ok, maybe I told him after we married, but either way he agreed. I double checked and he said that he absolutely was not kidding. I have the green light from my spouse, we’re totally going to space. C’ya earthlings.

No comments:

Post a Comment