Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Trampoline Trauma

Once upon a time my parents bought a trampoline. It was a magical fun machine akin to a slip and slide or a zip line. I told the other first graders about it and they were all jealous (except for Amanda who claimed to own a trampoline and a playground and a horse.)

A visual approximation of Amanda's house
Photo Credit
As with all magical fun machines, grown ups felt the need to set down some rules governing its use. No frontflips, no backflips, no shoes, only one person at a time, always use the ladder to exit, and stay inside the circle. The circle was a white line my father spray painted onto the canvas to ensure that his children only jumped within the inner 50% of the trampoline.
When I mention these rules to people they give me quizzical looks. They all had carefree childhood memories of bouncing with friends and getting elbowed in the face by larger relatives. One lady shrugged her shoulders and told me “it’s a good way to lose your baby teeth.” My bubble-wrapped childhood seemed bizarre by comparison.
“Why all the rules?”
Because trampolines are bouncy reapers waiting to claim reckless children. I’m only half joking. Google “trampoline statistics” and you’ll find alarmed parents and pediatricians discussing the tens of thousands of trampoline-related emergency room visits per year.
Yessssss. Send your children to a bouncy death.
Photo Credit
“Did you actually follow these rules?”
My parents fired my favorite babysitter because she let us jump two at a time. I didn’t dare speculate what they’d do to me if they caught me attempting a flip. I didn’t even know how to do a flip. My lack of physical coordination rendered that a moot point.
“Did you even use the trampoline once they’d sucked all the fun out of it?”
Kind of. I’d bounce on it a bit, then I’d get bored and stare up at the sky. Then I’d bounce some more. Then I’d go get a book and read on the trampoline. Since my only option was “jump up and down in a small circle,” I probably spent as much time reading there as I did jumping. Still, the jumping part was fun.
Nets and other trampoline protections weaken the moral fiber of our children
Photo Credit

“Don’t you think your parents were being paranoid?”
Under different circumstances you could call my parents paranoid. But let’s not forget that they’re my parents. Already they’d witnessed me nearly blind myself at a public pool, and then accidentally chop my thumb off (as in no longer attached to my body) at the optometrist’s office. I’ve suffered from self inflicted stab wounds, I once lodged a staple inside my finger, and the less we say about my bike riding instruction the better.  I was the Mozart of unexpected injuries, I was a friggin child prodigy.
But with all these rules, surely I’d be safe from trampoline trauma. Nope. One day I watched my older sister jump off instead of using the ladder to get down, a clear violation of rule number five. I immediately tried it and I landed crooked on my left arm. It hurt, but I expected that. When the pain didn’t wear off I went to bed for a few hours until my Mom noticed that something was wrong and took me to the hospital.
You guessed it. It was my first rule violation and I ended up with a broken arm. So the story has two morals, take your pick.

1. No amount of rules will keep your kids safe so they might as well have fun.


2. There is no such thing as paranoid when you have me for a daughter.

4 comments:

  1. I'd just like to point out that you all bought the trampoline while I was away, and those rules were only instituted AFTER you broke your arm. Killjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rules were there from day one. I remember that white spray paint line all the way back when we lived on base in Nebraska.
    I may have ruined batman, but you can't blame me for ruining the trampoline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me smile, which is weird because I was thinking about all the injuries that happened on my family's trampoline as a kid. We broke a lot of arms. Not mine though. I loved this line, and not just because I'm a music nerd: "I was the Mozart of unexpected injuries, I was a friggin child prodigy."

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny how people have such mixed feelings about trampolines. There's always a bit of "We had so much fun!" mixed with "and then I got eight stitches."

    ReplyDelete