Monday, August 4, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy

I did it. I actually saw a movie on opening weekend. To celebrate my trendy, cutting-edge pop culture sensibilities I present to you the following movie review. You’re welcome.


It was just fun.  Peter Quill/Star-Lord doesn't carry all the baggage of an A-list superhero so he's free to be goofy, charming, and kind of almost inspirational. Everyone in his team of misfits felt like a real person, including the giant tree and the talking squirrel.
The plot never took itself too seriously and it stayed easy to follow without being simplistic. The soundtrack played a major role in the story and it was perfection. The dialogue was immediately quotable: “Metaphors would go right over his head.” “Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast.”
Guardians of the Galaxy gave me everything I hoped it would. In the end I didn't even care that characters could survive briefly in space by wearing a special space mask. I didn't care that they gave us one token female with frequent shots of her butt. I didn't care that about the underdeveloped bad guy and his inefficient scheme to destroy a planet. I just enjoyed myself and let Marvel Comics charm me with this clever, goofy, and surprisingly tender action movie.



P.S. I saw the poster for LUCY. The "fact" about humans only using 10% of our brains made me froth at the mouth. OH MY GOODNESS just point to a part of the brain and I will tell you what we're using it for. It's not like 90% of the brain is just sitting there all limp and useless. You know this, and I know this, so why do writers feel like they can base a movie around this myth?

No comments:

Post a Comment